Overview of Logistics And Different Logistic Services In 2020
Overview of Logistics
Logistics services is generally the process of supervising the supply chain right from the manufacturing point to the end-user. It makes sure of whether the product reaches the end-user with the correct quantity.
The logistics are required for ensuring whether the goods are safely stored and efficiently transported to the end-user with the right quantity through the process of planning, implementation, and management. This article discusses an overview of logistics and the various logistics fields in the following sections.
Overview of Logistics
Generally, production management is the term that signifies the transformation of products in a business-like restaurant, factories, malls, stock markets, and lots more. The term logistics is applied to the activity, where the transformed products are correctly made to reach the end-users in the correct quantity.
Logistics services not only involves checking whether the product from the manufacturing point reaches the end-user. They also involve many activities like packing, sealing containers, documenting the inventory details, insurance, storing, importing, and exporting, managing the damage caused in the goods, vendor management, and risk alleviation.
The following are types of logistics:
1. Inbound logistics: The process of purchasing and organizing the transmission of parts, materials, and other inventories from the supplier to the manufacturing destination.
2. Outbound logistics: The process of managing, storing, and transferring the consumable and ready products to the end-user.
Different fields of Logistics
There are different fields of Logistics. They are:
- Procurement logistics
- Production Logistics
- Sales Logistics
- Recovery Logistics
- Recycling Logistics
The following activities are done in the field of Procurement Logistics. They are:
- Planning and procuring the raw materials and parts from the suppliers
- buying decision
- order and controlling the order
- Supplier management
The main aim of the field is to maximize the process of supplies safely and minimizing the procurement attainment costs.
Production logistics involves the process of managing the obtained raw materials and parts from the suppliers. Then the products are correctly distributed, packed, and transported to the storehouse. The following are the activities performed in production logistics.
- Delivery Management
- Warehouse management
- Shipping management
The sales logistics involves transferring completed and consumable products from warehouses to end-users like wholesalers, customers, and retailers. These products are transported either directly from the logistics warehouses or production sites, thus increasing the efficiency in the transportation and shrinkage in inventory. This, therefore, increases customer satisfaction.
This field of logistics involves the process of recycling and recovery phases. In this field, the products, containers, and packages are recycled after they had been used for consumption and reused for the next procurement.
In this field of recycling logistics, the following products are recycled and reused. They are:
- Plastic cans
- Plastic bottles
- Old newspapers
- old computer parts
- printer parts
To the motive for the green environment, the recycling process has increased, which is cost-effective and assures for effective usage of materials.
The other logistic fields are:
- Distribution logistics
- Disposal Logistics
- Green logistics
- Domestic logistics
- Construction Logistics
- Digital logistics, and lots more.
- There are also logistics metrics, in which the products share general distinctiveness like volumetric features, weight, storage, handling needs, packaging size, and lots more.
- The physical logistic metrics assess transportability, the amount of product for transportation, volumetric usage, selectivity, and stocking capacity.
- The momentary metrics comprised of holding costs, handling costs, and maintenance cost.
This was a brief overview of logistics services and the various field activities involved in logistic services. By hiring these services end-users can have many benefits and obtain customer satisfaction.