In any discrete manufacturing industry, D365 CE and Power Apps can do the simplification and improvisation in the existing process from manufacturing of a product to delivery at a Customer site. This includes Outbound Delivery.
To understand the end to end flow, we would need to be specific about the industry and products.
Following flow is the general overview for the end to end process of an Aluminium industry, where Ingots (Aluminium Plates) are being manufactured. Flow depicts the areas of the Shopfloor, Logistics, Trucks, and Customer Base.
Challenges in the above process:
- Post-production same quality ingots are stacked together but there is no speedy way to make sure all the same quality ingots are stacked in the right place.
- Logistics loads the ingots onto a truck but there are chances of quality mismatch on the loaded truck as well. In the end, the customer will get the different quality material which is not mentioned in its Sales Order.
- No speedy way to do the audit on floor/logistics
These challenges can be overcome using a barcode on each ingot, keeping the information of the Quality and weight of each ingot. Barcode can be stuck on the ingots once the weight and quality are measured. Now each time when stacking based on the quality, Barcode scanner should play its role to make sure all stacked ingots are of the same quality. The same goes for the logistics dept. as well. They would need to scan each ingot before loading it onto the truck against a Sales order.
And once all the ingots on the truck are accumulated against a Sales Order, an outbound delivery can be generated in a single click.
Use of the Power Apps and D365 CE
All Sales Orders should be created into MS CRM development, D365 using OOB entity this will help to get the invoice as well.
Integrate the MES system with D365 application to collate the manufacturing ingots with the quality and weight. Each time an ingot is added into D365, a unique number gets generated that will be used for barcode numbers as well. D365 will be used to print a Barcode to stick on the ingots.
Once each ingot got its barcode, it can be scanned by a barcode scanner.
Power apps come with the OOB Barcode Scanner feature that can be used to have our own barcode scanner application.
An entity to keep the ingots will have a unique barcode number and status on the record. Status of the record can be in Stacked, Shifted to Logistics, Loaded on Truck, OBD, In-transit, and Delivered to Customer.
Each time ingot is scanned for action, the status of the record will be changed accordingly. And once ingots are loaded on the truck, these will be available for the OBD (Out Bound Delivery).
- Sales Orders to be maintained into D365-CE which will have a customer and ordered quantity and quality detail.
- D365 invoice entity can be used for all the delivery against the Sales Order
- Ingots are maintained into D365, in a separate entity keeping weight and quality details.
- Any shifting of the ingot can be maintained as the status of the record
Ingot records will be tracked against Sales Order, Outbound Delivery, and Truck for easy and transparent tracking.
- Power App application to scan the barcodes