People from the transgender community have often faced many problems while accessing healthcare facilities. It is equally the most important thing for every human being, irrespective of gender. But sometimes, transgenders have to face prejudicial thoughts and words even before transitioning to a different gender.
At the most trusted transgender clinic in India, the doctors and staff have the required training and education to handle the healthcare treatment and support each gender dysmorphic person require.
However most of the institutes providing such facilities lack training programs that would educate healthcare providers about the ways to deal with these patients in a suitable manner.
In this article, we will shed light on the basic important stuff many medics need to keep in mind while treating people who have special requirements and identities.
Changes That Can Make Big Difference
Language carries a significant importance while dealing with trans individuals. Health is not just limited to cure and medicine. But it is also effective when we express our support and help with our words and actions.
We are at a time where everybody is allowed and accepted for who and what they are. It also helps them contribute to the society effectively and shun discrimination.
Here are some little steps that can improve the healthcare situation for the trans community in the following:
- Placing signage or materials in the waiting room that demonstrates a warm welcome to all genders.
- Forms that would distinguish the sex assigned from birth and the newly assigned one,
- Offering dedicated space for intake forms for name, gender and pronouns.
- Asking people how they would like to be referred to.
- Employing people from their community for work. It will help the patients boost more confidence and improve their mental health.
- Correcting and apologising for using the incorrect name or pronoun.
Areas Where Changes Are Required
- Education and Training: People need to get the much-required education to ensure understanding and sensitivity of their problems.
- Reduction of stigma: We need to address issues of discrimination that these folks have to face in their daily life and help people understand the fact that these different people need the same respect as others.
- Mental Health Support: These individuals go through a lot of problems that leave them in a pit of depression. To help them tackle such situations, there are many programs to improve their mental health effectively to improve their quality of life.
- Inclusivity in Health Records: These people need to be made feel welcomed and treated equally, even on the public front, by the governments. Hence, officials are adding their names to public health records to make them feel more secure and equal.
Looking back on the strides that our healthcare has made, there are still a lot of things that need to be taken care of. We still lack the empathy and equal mindset to understand what every trans person need.
People opting for SRS surgery in Hyderabad also need basic things that would help them undergo their transition journey without any complications. As they say, a healthy mind is the best cure for everything.